What tomorrow brings

Report — By on March 11, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Teresa Francis, 11 March ’11

I can only guess how they are feeling right now. It was a sunny spring day, and I’m sure they expected to have a pleasant time. I’m sure someone my age was on her laptop, doing her English homework, or studying for her Maths exam.  Friday in Japan is equivalent to a Thursday in the U.A.E, which means it was the last day of the week, and the beginning of the weekend, so I’m sure at least a couple of families had plans for their evening. I can’t say for sure, but I’m sure that most of them didn’t expect the earthquake, or at least the magnitude of the earthquake, that hit Japan earlier today.  But if you think that that was it, and then you better think again. After the 8.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Japan today afternoon, a tsunami of thirteen feet struck the east coast of Japan. The tsunami swept away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control. A local news report said at least 15 people were killed, though the government has confirmed only 5 deaths.

After the main earthquake, 19 aftershocks, all more than 6.0 magnitudes have been felt. Japan is a country prone and used to earthquakes. Most schools and offices are well informed on the safety procedures in case of an earthquake, but seismologists say that this one is one of the largest quakes to hit Japan for many years. Waves of muddy waters swept over farmland near the city of Sendai, carrying buildings, some on fire, as cars attempted to drive away. Sendai airport, north of Tokyo, was overflowing with cars, trucks, buses and thick mud deposited over its runways.  Horrific footage has been all over the news, showing the water, polluted with debris like cars and boats flooding the farmland.

After all this, there’s more bad news. Tsunami warnings have been issued all over the Pacific, and the warning also includes Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Central and South America. In Russia, 11,000 people have been evacuated from areas that could be affected by the tsunami. As I write, people are being found dead. The damage caused by this one earthquake is going to affect around 50 countries. It took only one Friday afternoon, to cause possibly billions of dollars’ worth repairs in Japan, and, after the tsunami shall hit other coastal areas, possibly millions of dollars’ worth repairs in other countries as well.

I’m afraid, in the past; I have often been a victim to ignorance. I am not regular in my news reading, and I do not watch the news on television often.  But I’ve realized that you cannot ignore news. You cannot shut out negative news because you wish to. You can only hope for the best, and yes, its cliché time, live your life to the fullest. Even with the little time we have, we must try to make our mark in this world. Because tomorrow, an earthquake may strike right here.  My heart goes out to those suffering in Japan, and for the unknown future, I truly hope for the best.

Tags:

19 Comments

1. Shaday says:

ooah what a tofita teresa. Touching.

2. Yolany says:

This actually moved me :(
    R.I.P to all those who lost their lives.

3. Vandern R. says:

This might be a little too late, however, after reading through this report It really did convey a meaning. A detailed report of not only the events but also how the Japanese had dealt with the situation.

A really sad day it was. :(

4. Damn… Nice piece, pretty well written verse, & my heart goes out it all those who suffered the sheer audacity of that malicious earthquake that struck the once proud nation of Japan. Hope it continuous to remain tall & proud after such malignant forces if nature. May all the victems Rest In Peace.

5. Jade D'mello says:

Wow, at first I thought this would be some ordinary report, but this was quite sad and touching :(
    Great job on the report.
    I agree with Tanay, in hoping that it continues to outlast and remain as tall & proud as it currently is.
    R.I.P to those who couldn’t make it that day :(

6. Oorjitha Prem says:

Absolutely poignant! What vexes me the most is the fact that not only did the people of Japan had to suffer an earthquake with a high magnitude, they also had to be affected by the revolting tsunami right after! Why does mother nature have to lose her temper like this at times… especially when people least expect it… It’s awfully traumatic! I wholeheartedly wish well to those in Japan who have suffered the agonizing experience but have luckily survived and the ones who have perished and gone to God, may you all Rest In Peace. :)

7. Umika Vohra says:

Indescribable piece of writing!!!!!
    The events are described pitch perfect, on the other hand, it’s shocking how Japan was affected by these disasters.
    Rest in peace all those who suffered in this disaster. And thank you Teresa for writing this splendid report. Great Job!!!

8. Umika Vohra says:

Indescribable piece of writing!!!!!

9. Reshma Suresh says:

It’s makes me really sad and thankful at the same time when I read this piece of writing! I feel sad when I think about everyone in Japan going through 2 massive disasters in just a day and some people not being alive at the end of it but I feel thankful for all the people who got out with their family and friends around them. Great piece of writing!!

10. Tracy Mendonca says:

Wow… this engrossing report knocked me to my senses and made me realize that,like Teresa, all this time I too have been a victim to ignorance. This report captured both the aftermath and the human anguish generated before, after and during this chaotic disaster and how the Japanese coped with it. Very compelling read. :)

11. Serena S B says:

What a remarkable report! The use of language as well as descriptive content is so touching and really brings a tear to your eye.

RIP to those who didn’t make it, you will always be remembered O:)

12. Reubeanne says:

Very touching. Informative with a moral.

13. Valerie Mooradian says:

I am speechless right now! As I was reading this, goose bumps were all over my hands and feet. I remember that day very clearly, and like Tanay and Jade said earlier: my heart and my prayers are all with the victims and the families of the people who died in that tragic week. Amazing piece of writing, I don’t even have any comments to write… R.I.P to all those who lost their lives. </3

14. Jarar B says:

Very well-written, and even more touching. Not very recent, but still affects us as much as when it happened.

And reading that there were further aftershocks after the original earthquakes was even more devastating. I hope the families of the affected are coping well with this.

15. Zvikomborero says:

What an amazing piece of writing.
    My condolences go out to all those who lost their families.

16. asaad says:

WOW. 0.0 amazingly written, this was a moving piece of literature. my heart weaps for the many peaple affected by this. it left me baffled with thoughts, that too at night just before sleeping, -_- shudnt hav read it at night lol

17. Chirag M says:

Superbly written, and extremely moving. This made me realize that catching up with the news has its benefits, and in addition to that, it also conveys a message – live each day to the fullest. A real eye-opener. Details amazingly organized!
    Hats off Teresa. 😀
    R.I.P to all who lost their lives. (:

18. Aryan Gautsm says:

brilliant, touching
    R.I.P to all those lives lost. (:

19. Chona says:

I don’t think that anyone of us can truly relate to such a tragedy, instead only offer empathy, condolences and best wishes for those affected.
    This piece of writing reminded me of the devastation that occurred in Japan, not too long ago and how the people have dealt with the problem and continue to persevere. My heart continues to go out for those who have lost loved one, been affected and continue to be affected.
    Well written, informative as well as emotionally effective; a great piece of writing.